GriefCounseling

Poisoning -Poisoning of any sort is an emergency. If you see your dog or cat ingest a suspicious substance, call your veterinarian. Many different things in the house and garden are potentially toxic to dogs, including pesticides, chemicals, cleaners, and medications. Most poisonings occur without your knowledge. Clinical signs are variable and include excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures or collapse, skin damage due to caustic substances, etc. If a product label is available, check it for first aid instructions, such as whether to induce vomiting.

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED TO DO SO BY YOUR VETERINARIAN.

You can usually induce vomiting with 5 ml (one teaspoon) of hydrogen peroxide orally. Keep a sample of the vomit for testing. Seek veterinary care as soon as possible to help reduce the absorption of toxins. Bring a sample of the suspected toxin with you, as well as any packaging.

The Pet Poison Helpline is always available for assistance if needed.

 

pet_poison_helpline_logo